Lead Infrastructure Engineer
Salary: £36000 - £40000 per annum
Job Type: Permanent
Job Ref: 441103921
Lead Infrastructure Engineer (Network and Communications) IT Services
£37,200 - £40,000 per annum
My clients' organisation is a fast-paced, challenging but highly rewarding place to work. They employ highly motivated team players who can communicate across all levels of the business.
As part of an innovative 3rd line team responsible for the delivery of a modern agile Cisco network infrastructure; the Lead Engineer will have the operational day to day responsibility of the various technologies and platforms, ensuring their optimum performance, reliability and security (client is Cyber-Essentials Plus certified). Supporting the delivery of digital transformation and automation to the team and the wider organisation, the successful candidate will lead in ensuring IT Services are able to deliver services seamlessly and build on existing automation such as Cisco Prime and infrastructure as code as well as promoting our culture of left shift into the Service Delivery teams. Leading and supporting the delivery of game changing projects to ensure we deliver excellence to our students and staff across core requirements in research, regional, civic as well as the traditional network infrastructure role. This is a highly challenging role. The Lead Engineer will work across the department, but especially liaising with Service Delivery, to address problem management and help deliver a culture of continuous service improvement. Our infrastructure is future-focused, utilising Cisco Catalyst 9000 series, CISCO ISE, Checkpoint, and Cisco ACI with Nexus switching in our two Data Centres. The Lead Engineer will work with the team to continually develop and exploit its potential.
Responsible for leading on key services within the team:
• Service ownership/service delivery - developing key strategies, roadmaps, designs, developing and then implementing/updating services within the team, ensuring all documentation is in place and Service transition is seamless across the various internal teams.
• Undertakes sector horizon scanning, benchmarks service against the sector to ensure service is future focussed.
• Responsible for solution documentation in support of operational readiness, which may include training, process development, and explanation of standards.
• Responsible for setting standards for hardware, software and configuration management.
• Responsible for ensuring Disaster Recovery and Business Continuity processes in place and tested.
• Identifying existing processes for the development of either new or improved automation.
• Working to provide automation and integration to bespoke software solutions that are complex in nature.
• Work closely with other teams across the business to improve efficiency and adapt existing processes to enable a secure, smooth and successful migration to a modern hybrid cloud infrastructure.
• Responsible for leading on key projects which can be across department and high value £500K+.
• Responsible for ensuring monitoring of all services, including predictive and analytics, is available for all services.
• Maintain the security of complex hybrid systems through implementing secure strategies, policies, and controls and automating where possible.
• Leads and mentors others on priority and diagnosis of incidents according to agreed procedures. Investigates the causes of incidents and seeks resolution. Escalates unresolved incidents. Facilitates recovery, following the resolution of incidents. Documents and closes resolved incidents according to agreed procedures and ensure lessons learned.
• Initiates and monitors actions to investigate and resolve problems in systems, processes and services. Determines problem fixes/remedies. Assists with the implementation of agreed remedies and preventative measures.
• Serves as an escalation point for operations (tier 3 support) for highly complex solution resolution, and responsible for root cause analysis.
• Evaluates the impact of proposed or required changes that may be highly complex in nature (internally and by vendors) especially in the areas of hardware, software, performance, maintenance and cost; provide recommendations to management with an impact assessment.
• Work with the Infrastructure Team Manager on managing external vendors and suppliers ensuring they are delivering on service and providing best value.
• Being a ‘team player' and working in a collaborative team environment to deliver complex solutions to multiple internal and external business units.
• Leads and mentors across the Infrastructure and Service Delivery area. Person Specification
• BSc in Computer Science (or equivalent)
• Relevant professional certifications e.g. Cisco CCNA or higher.
• Significant experience of implementing innovative solutions that are customer and future focused
• Significant experience of developing and deploying high level infrastructure and solutions
• Extensive experience of developing, deploying and maintaining a large-scale Cisco Catalyst and Nexus switching environment
• Experience of developing and migrating to infrastructure as code, and automation of services
• Experience of working with enterprise class solutions, e.g. Cisco Prime, Cisco ISE, Cisco DNA / and CMX
• Experience of managing and maintaining firewalls and associated policies
• Experience of managing and enhancing a Cisco based wireless network
• Proven experience delivering in a high performance multi-disciplinary infrastructure team
• Demonstrated proficiency in the implementation and maintenance of global integrated infrastructure solutions
• Understanding of project management lifecycle from conception through implementation
• Demonstrated proficiency and technical knowledge of infrastructure technology communications / protocols –TCP/IP and other relevant protocols
• Demonstrated proficiency with relevant programming / scripting and source code management
• Demonstrated proficiency in analytical and problem-solving skills with ability to correlate cross-platform technologies.
• Demonstrated proficiency in CISCO routing, switching and associated protocols and design e.g. BGP, VRF, VSS
• Software-Defined Networking e.g. SDA, ACI
• Work as part of an on-call out of hours rota
• Help lead on the development of staff across Infrastructure and Service Delivery
• Engagement with Students to ensure Service if fit for purpose, and to assist with Student employability
• Professional and /or technical qualifications, e.g. PRINCE 2 / ITIL or substantial, applied equivalent experience.
• Integration of cloud services with on-premise infrastructure
• Proven experience of developing technical strategies and policies in line with business requirements
• Experience of Unified Communications
• Development life cycles. Experience of Ansible or Chef and Jenkins is highly desirable, but training and development will be provided. Familiarity with DevOps processes and practices and automation
Skills, knowledge & abilities
• Unified Communications e.g. Communications manager, Unity Connection, Contact Centre Express, Jabber, Microsoft Teams integrations.
• Application Delivery Controllers (e.g. F5 BIG-IP)
• Virtualization (e.g. VMware vSphere, NSX, Nutanix AHV)
• Understanding of Information Security best practices
• Proven experience of managing support contracts, ensuring vendors are compliant with their SLAs and KPIs
• Experience of UoD internal processes and policies
• Understanding of procurement regulations, guidelines and procedures such as tender processes and IT public sector frameworks
• Server infrastructure (Load Balancers, DNS, DHCP, VMWare)
• Willingness and flexibility to travel and work between primary location and external sites in a cost-effective and timely manner
As well as competitive pay scales, we offer generous holiday entitlement. We also offer opportunities for further salary progression based on performance, and the opportunity to join a contributory pension scheme.