Health and Safety Advisor
Salary: £40000 per annum
Job Type: Permanent
Job Ref: 441103900
Hitchin – Health and Safety Advisor
Initially an office based role in Hitchin for 1-2 months, then becoming a multiple site role, with regular travel to 15 sites between Birmingham to the south coast. These range from enabling works, to demolition & ground remediation. Do you want to provide safety direction and drive HSEQ across multiple sites? Do you want sustain a positive culture within a fast paced, leading civil engineering company? Do you have a real passion for Health, Safety, Environmental and Risk? Then this could be the right next step for you!
In this role you will work with the company's HSEQ lead, supporting and assisting with safety duties including the following;
• Advise staff on all aspects of Health & Safety and Environmental procedures.
• Implement practical and effective methods, both preventative and remedial, of promoting health and safety and safe working practices in the workplace.
• Conduct/organise relevant health and safety training for staff as required, including face fitting, tool box talks, manual handling, working at height, asbestos management, demolition etc.
• Liaise with the sub-contractors to establish contractor health & safety procedures.
• Ensure effective "risk assessments" as required by legislation and that these are reviewed at relevant intervals and records maintained at all times.
• Carry out all risk assessments and special assessments for each site as required by business, including display screen equipment, manual handling, lone working, fork lift loading, pregnant workers, young workers etc.
• To recommend & implement control measures and advise on the standard of P.P.E. issued to employees.
• Conduct health and safety inspections and prepare reports and documents as required.
• Keep up to date with changes in current legislation and implement such changes where relevant.
• Bring to the attention of the Leadership Team any relevant new legislation.
• Attend such courses/seminars run by external sources to enable accurate interpretation of legislation to enable implementation within the organisation. (CPD)
• Immediately contact the Leadership Team if situations are found, that in the opinion of the H&S Manager, require immediate rectification or the stopping of any operation.
• Arrive at creative and engaging H&S initiatives to improve safety standards and culture.
• NEBOSH General / Construction Certificate MINIMUM STANDARD
• NEBOSH Environmental Certificate (desirable)
• NEBOSH Diploma or NVQ Level 4/5 (desirable)
• Asbestos awareness
• IOSH membership
• Asbestos management
• Working knowledge of remediation projects
• Writing and implementing H&S policies
• Proven experience of managing and developing a safety management system accredited to OHSAS 18001
• Conducting training on a variety of subjects; face fitting, tool box talks, manual handling
• Accident investigation & near miss reporting
• Environmental knowledge (desirable)
• My Client is a family-owned company, therefore someone wanting to join the ‘family' and develop with the business is crucial
• Proactive mentality, driven and passionate
• Contribute to a friendly and honest environment
What's in it for you?
• A salary of £38,000 - £40,000
• Company car
• 28 days leave + bank holidays
• Performance based bonus
• Nest pension scheme