Salary: £30000 - £35000 per annum
Job Type: Permanent
Job Ref: 441103641
HSES Environmental Adviser - Power and Distribution
Provide support and advice to operational teams on all aspects of environmental management, developing environmental documentation, meeting legal and company standards and helping deliver a culture of continual improvement. Understand and work with Clients and Regulators to ensure their environmental requirements are complied with. Support on site mitigation, sustainability of works and engagement with local stakeholders and members of the public.
• Provide advice and support to operational teams on environmental matters
• Develop and maintain local environmental management and sustainability plans
• Maintain relationships with regulators, clients and subcontractors
• Develop and maintain relationships with local stakeholders
• Investigate and report incidents to the Environmental Manager
• Ensure the environmental management system is maintained in line with changing standards and legislation and Client requirements.
• Ensure on site compliance with environmental legislation and coach teams in applying controls and mitigations.
• Deliver value adding environment projects and support ecological enhancements
• Liaise with client, regulatory bodies and subcontractors on matters of environmental management and sustainability.
• Produce and update environmental management plans and environmental risk assessments
• Provide on-site advice to operations and design teams on environmental management, compliance and project specific mitigation measures including pollution control and ecology protection
• Investigate environmental incidents and support the business to implement controls to prevent repeat occurrence
• Support the Bid Team by reviewing client tender documents and providing detailed responses such as environmental management plans.
• Ensure implementation of the project environmental management systems on project sites
• Be aware of any changes to standards and legislation and where applicable recommend changes to systems and processes
• Deliver environmental training, toolbox talks and undertake onsite coaching
• Produce internal and external reports as required, e.g. case studies, environmental performance.
• Support and conduct audit and assurance activities including facilitating external audits by clients and certification bodies
• Assist in the development and production of key performance indicators and management reports
• Interacts with:
• Head of Operations and Senior Managers
• Operational teams and subcontractors
• HSES team
• Bid team
• Other Support Services teams
• Clients and Regulators
• Scheme developers, stakeholders, conservation groups
• Operating Environment:
• Ensure Code of Conduct is thoroughly understood, adhered to and promoted across the business to ensure safe, compliant and consistent working practices.
• Carry out all duties in such a way to ensure safe, compliant and consistent working practices.
• To operate in an open and even handed manner with all personnel across the business. Treat all who we interact with, with courtesy and respect, treating everyone equally and embracing differences. Encourage everyone to achieve maximum potential.
• To proactively contribute to teamwork and cross-functional working. To listen to each other and share knowledge enabling us to willingly combine expertise across the business, with our clients & supply chain.
• Behaving with integrity and demonstrating professional image at all times. To always do what is right.
• To take personal responsibility & accountability for actions, constantly striving to improve and exceed expectations ensuring safety and quality are never compromised.
• Strong knowledge of environment management
• Educated to degree level in Environmental Science, Environmental Management
• Practical experience and knowledge of environmental legislation, ecology mitigation, environmental licences and consent applications and regulators
• Understanding of ecological matters and environmental law
• PIEEM, or IEMA Membership
• Commercial awareness
• Full UK driver's licence and flexibility to travel
• Understanding of the utilities/construction/engineering operating environment
• Literate in MS Office – Word, Excel, Outlook
• Good interpersonal skills
• Internal environmental auditor qualification
• Competent ecological surveyor for one protected species
• NEBOSH H&S Diploma or equivalent
• Knowledge of the Construction Industry